Fees and Terms
My practice is usually long-term, but I also offer shorter-term work, for both individuals and couples.
I also undertake a certain amount of supervision.
Counselling and/or psychotherapy can be an expensive business. In consideration of this, my fees are low, but this in no way reflects inferior work, professional commitment or inadequate qualifications.
I offer the following types counselling and therapy:
- Long-term psychotherapy
- Medium-term support counselling and psychotherapy
(3 to 12 months)
- Short term, focus-based therapy for specific problems
(6, 12 or 18 sessions)
- Intensive therapy
(weekdaily - timeframe to agree)
- Initial consultation (90 mins) - all clients: £40
- On-going weekly+ sessions (1 hr 15 mins): £30
- Sessions undertaken on a less than weekly basis: £35
- Intra-sessional support: by agreement.
- Fast-track Intensive Therapy: by prior agreement
- Supervision session: £40
Method of Payment
I do operate a ‘sliding scale’, where genuine circumstances justify reductions.
The first session must be paid for, in full, at the conclusion of the session, either in cash or by cheque. Subsequent sessions may be paid for either in cash or cheque at the session, or for clients receiving longer term therapy or counselling, on agreed account terms.
Except by prior agreement, failure or lateness to pay may incur a suspension of counselling or therapy.
Notice of Cancellation
- Less than 48 hours notice - full fees are due. If possible, I will offer an alternative appointment that week.
- More than 48 hours notice - If possible, I will offer an alternative appointment that week. If not, 50% of fees are due.
- Notice of holidays and other foreseen absences given with at least one week's notice: no fees are due for missed session(s). However, it may be necessary to change your regular booking time if absences are frequent and/or prolonged.
Delayed billing structures (e.g. medical insurance claims) may be subject to a 20% administration fee.
Review of Fees
Fees are subject to periodic review. One month notice will be given of any proposed increase in fees.. Whenever possible, I try to keep fees at the same level as when clients started therapy.
Telephone or Email Counselling
In exceptional circumstances, I may operate telephone or email counselling. In such cases, fees and method of payment will be by individual agreement.
Further Terms and Conditions
In order to protect the integrity of the process, for both client and therapist, you affirm that you:
- are over 18 years of age. (Enquiries from those under the age of 18
without adult consent will be considered and the circumstances for such
enquiries will be clarified, when the initial contact (usually by telephone)
is made. Medium or longer term counselling will not be undertaken without
the knowledge or consent of a responsible adult.)
- are not falsifying your identity, address, telephone or email details
- will declare any previous or on-going therapy or psychiatric care
- will give notice of intention to seek parallel therapy or psychiatric
care, in which case the decision to proceed should be by agreement with
- are not at risk of harming yourself or others
- will declare any medications taken, drug or alcohol dependency or abuse,
any other addictions
- your sole purpose of counselling is for your personal and confidential
counselling use only
- you will declare at the outset if there exists any additional agenda
in your seeking counselling. This may include, but is not limited to,
undergoing counselling for research, publishing, distribution or any other
- you will declare at the outset if your participation in this counselling
will be shared in any form, be it, recordings, transcripts, copying or
reporting of or on the experience, your impressions thereof, surveillance
and any other use of the session, verbal or otherwise, other than for
your personal therapeutic benefit.
- that your participation within the counselling process is entirely
and absolutely for personal, therapeutic use.
If you require support between sessions, this can, by agreement, be supplied in either telephone or email format. This may be chargeable at pre-agreed rates.
Sessions and other exchanges between client and therapist are confidential.
Exceptions: If I feel you are in danger of coming to harm or that someone you are in contact with might be harmed, I will need to break confidentiality in order to protect you or the third party. I would do my best to discuss this with you and involve you in the process but therapy may need to be suspended.
My e-mail or verbal replies, our messenger dialogue and our telephone conversations may not be transcribed, printed, posted or published either in whole or in part without my express, written permission. Material arising from the counselling including your experience of the process may not be used for commercial purposes, interviews, media without my express, written permission.
I may discuss aspects of the work we do together with my supervisor. This is usual within the profession and is to ensure the high standard of my work. I would not reveal your identity to them.
Code of ethics
I abide by the code of ethics of the Independent Practitioners’ Network.